Held at Thompson River University in Kamloops, BC on February 10th and 11th, 2010
To begin K2, a workshop was given to engage local clients in the project and ensure that the results will be most relevant to them. The workshop introduced the project, highlighted the direction from K1 and provided insight into the models, including their strengths and limitations. The intent of the workshop was to engage local clients, to help identify priority questions and begin to link those questions to the modeling process.
In all projects that have multiple participants, scope and scale are two areas that must be managed carefully. It is hoped that this initial workshop informed expectations and whet the appetite for greater learning and participation.
Workshop Objectives were:
- To engage clients in a common understanding of the intentions and structure of the K2 project.
- To determine local priorities and suggestions for management questions to be explored in K2.
- To identify the most useful portion of the TSA to use as a study area for K2.
- To clarify and discuss further client participation throughout the K2 project.
On behalf of the K2 team we would like to Thank You very much for your participation in the Kamloops session. Your input has helped clarify the next steps in a meaningful way.
These next steps as seen by the K2 team are as follows:
- Modelers to obtain climate data to allow for exploratory data runs (By mid March).
- K2 team to choose example stand types for preliminary stand level model runs to address some of the questions posed by K1. The intent is to show types of output and how it can be interpreted (By mid April). This output will be used to provide a starting point for Working Group discussions.
- Get working groups together to look at the initial modeling and then determine the full range of ecological questions we want to pursue – mostly stand level (in May sometime).
- From there explore what landscape level questions are key (after May).
You can download the list of potential working groups and members (it is also provided in the downloadable files below).
Because of the limited time of the session we were not able to obtain the entire thinking on questions that local clients began on day one. It would be useful to the project if you could pass on any new questions or wording changes that your group came up with (feel free to leave comments here or email Dave (dperez at interchange dot ubc dot ca). We will use those to help set up example questions by working group when they meet next.
Follow-up to some excellent questions raised at the client workshop can be found on the Discussions page.
Again thanks so much for your participation, we hope you learned something and are keen on learning more as the project (journey) continues.
Downloadable Relevant Files:
Backgrounder (Jan 21-10) This is a backgrounder on the first phase of the Kamloops Future Forest Strategy (K1) and an introduction to K2.
Client Summary: Management Questions (Jan 21-10) These are some example questions that emerged from K1 that could be explored in K2.
Developing Questions Table (Dec 15-09) An overview of the sensitivities and recommended management actions that came from K1 – which can be used to as context for potential management questions we may wish to explore in K2
K2 Working groups and Ecological themes (Feb 11, 10) This is a tentative list of the follow-up working groups and their potential participants. If you missed out on signing up, or know of someone else that may be well suited to a specific working group or groups and is interested, please pass their name and email to us (dpforestry at gmail dot com).
Downloadable Presentations given during the Workshop:
Feel free to provide any other feedback you may have for the project below or email Dave (dperez at interchange dot ubc dot ca). We hope you can get involved, your combined experience is always welcome!